Friday, December 16, 2011

Advanced Skills

We were called in last week to meet with Logan's teacher and the principal. I was so stunned by the phone call that I didn't even think to ask what it was about! I started to panic and sent Logan's teacher an email. Her response?....."you never need to worry about this sweet angel child. The meeting is to discuss some of his advanced skills. I have a few ideas." If I'm being truthful I wasn't that suprised! I was, once again, a proud mama!


The meeting was fantastic. We discussed areas in which he excels. We discussed how his learning threshhold is not being met in those areas. We discussed how grateful we were his teacher would pay attention to him, and suggest we do some things differently. We discussed how his school allows for students to work at their own pace in several areas, particularly math, language, and reading. We discussed how his reading books are not working for him, and were able to choose different books for him. We discussed how much he loves school, and what a blessing it is for him to be where he is!


For math we are going to teach him the concepts at home, and he will then take the worksheets to work on during class time at school. His teacher will administer the assessments, but everything else will be done by us. This way...we will go at his own pace. The idea is to get him all the way through so that when he starts 3rd grade next year he will be starting in the 4th grade math class.


And for language?...his class is currently reading Heidi. His teacher is having him underline any words he has never seen before or doesn't know their meaning. And then she is going to have him find those words in the dictionary. He will write their meaning, their root words, etc. He is going to eat it up!


I am continually grateful he can attend such a wonderful school. The spirit accompanies his learning, and they build upon what we are trying to instill in him at home. What a blessing!

No comments: