Sunday, January 1, 2012

Grandpa's Drive In

My whole life I've eaten cheeseburgers from "grandpa's" every time we would come to visit. As I got older I even branched out to a double-cheese...or a chicken sandwich. Once I even got a "range" burger...and was pleasantly surprised! Naturally I passed this tradition on to my children, with a visit to the drive-in every week or two just to remind us how yummy it really was.
I'm sure my grandfather never realized the legacy he was leaving for his grandchildren & great-grandchildren.


(Logan enjoys dipping one of his last fry's)


My grandpa bought the drive-in back in the 50's when it was still part of the Arctic Circle chain. He purchased it for $12,000. It was a risky investment, but we are so glad he did it. He ran the drive-in until he passed away in 2002.


This past month grandma decided it was time to retire....at the ripe old age of 80! She's a spunky gal, and it was so fun to see all the attention she got. The drive-in was featured on the news, and the last week of business they had a steady line out the door all day long. I'm not sure I would be willing to wait over an hour for a hamburger, but people drove from miles around to enjoy one last "Parker's Burger!"

(Grandma turned the "open" sign for the last time!)




The day after the official close the family all met for one last lunch. We got to cook our own burgers, make our own ice cream cones, and eat whatever we wanted!

Thanks Grandma & Grandpa, for teaching me about hard work & dedication.












1 comment:

Ryan and Amber said...

How did I not know this? I love/loved Parker's and we went there every so often too. Crazy crazy. Glad to know we were in good hands!