Just thought I'd share a brief synopsis of my open-heart surgery experience. I'll save the yucky photos for my personal blog....and just give a few insights.
My mom accompanied me to the hospital Monday afternoon. Adam had just gotten home the Friday before..so he was in no condition to return to another hopsital with me. I had EKG, Chest X-ray, blood work, training from the nurse, and met with the Surgeon. I had an amazing surgeon...whom I later told he was very mean!
My mom, Dad, and Adam came up early Tuesday morning before I went in for surgery. I had to shower that morning and the night before with a special antiseptic sponge. They placed the artery line that morning also...that's what I'm showing in the picture. Adam said I really started crying when they were wheeling me to the surgical floor...but I don't recall crying. I remember they parked me in the hall way. I met my surgical nurse and the anesthesiologist who gave me the "magic elixir"...(sleepy stuff). I had an amazing "spiritual" experience as I looked out the window a the sunrise over the mountains.
The next thing I can remember is waking up hearing them telling me they were able to pull the ventilator tube while I was still in the surgical room...and 99% of the time that doesn't happen. I was extremely worried about waking up with that tube still in. The surgery took about 6 hours. I was on the bypass machine for about 2 hours. All went well. Apparantly my Aorta was a bit mis-shaped...but didn't cause too many problems.
I don't remember much of the ICU. I had a wonderful nurse..named Todd...who gave the best sponge bath...felt like a massage. Apparantly I had iodine from my mouth down to my toes. I don't remember actually seeing him though. I ate lots of ice..asked for lots of pain meds, and drifted in and out of sleep. I had a number of tubes...2 chest tubes, 2 pacer wires, Art line, Swanganz Catheter, Foly Catheter, and lots of iv's. They didn't really bother me much...but the pictures look disturbing.
The next day they made me actually get up and sit in a chair...for over an hour. I then noticed my back pain...lots of back pain. I also noticed...once I got on the scale that I had gained 30 lbs in iv fluids..yep...30 lbs!
The next few days are hazy. I had a couple visitors, started eating again, had to do the dreaded walk down the hall, got doped up on narcotics, and pretty much felt miserable! They let met come home on Saturday.
I have now been home a full week and am finally starting to feel better. I have already lost 20 lbs of fluid...and can get to the bathroom on my own! I feel so accomplished!
This has been by far the hardest thing I've had to do physically..but am sooo grateful for the miracle of modern medicine! I'll be running marathons in no time! (don't quote me on that!)
3 comments:
I am just in awe of you guys and everything you've made it through. I can't even imagine what these last couple of weeks have been for you and your family, your are a def. trooper and that's probably an understatement! I'm glad your feeling better, it's amazing what the human body can go through and the miracle of modern medicine, we are truly blessed! I hope things continue to get better, let us know if you need anything, seriously anything!
I have been thinking about you Melisa. I saw the cute sign your sisters made and Emily told me when you came home. You have such a positive attitude. Thanks for sharing your story... I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. I really miss you in Sunbeams!! (really)
I am so glad that everything went well for your surgery. My mom has to have basically the same thing done to her heart sometime in the near future, so it's nice to have a synopis of what to expect. I hope you keep getting better every day. (And that you and Adam can both be done with surguries for a LONG time :)
Post a Comment