One of my favorites things to do with her was "birthday shopping!" It was an annual tradition, and since my birthday was the end of August, we always shopped for school clothes. When grandma and grandpa would come for my birthday, grandpa would always say "my lands...is there a bottom to that box?" I think he wanted us to believe that he had no idea grandma had gotten us so much!
I was also able to spend a week each summer with her. She taught me many things. I learned how to crotchet and cross-stitch. I remember one summer she helped me make a lawn chair with colored ropes. And who can forget the tissue box covers made from yarn? And for some reason her pancakes always tasted better than the ones I had at home. I remember watching "The Price is Right" each morning, and eating late lunches at "One Man Band." My favorite summertime meal at her house was corn on the cob with tomatoes and red potatoes! And we can't forget the famous "Parker's Drive In" cheeseburger! (I still love them after all this time!)
She is such an incredible example! She is always thinking of others. She hates to ask anyone for help, but is the first to ask if you need anything. When my grandpa got sick I watched her serve and take care of him tirelessly...without a single complaint. She has always taken care of others, and I know there is always a place for me in her home. I try to check in on her every so often, and sometimes we have lunch together. I get to take her to Dr. appointments, or help her with computer problems. It is an honor to help her in any way that I can! Love you Grandma!!
No comments:
Post a Comment