Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nathan's Bigger Day!

There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how much I love this little man. He's been through a small whirlwind that last few months as we have moved and re-arranged our lives. Particularly when it comes to school. We originally had him going just across the street for pre-school, but I decided he needed something more. So...I enrolled him in the local public kindergarten. It's been a little adjustment, but I think he's getting the hang of things. When I went into the school to enroll him the secretary looked at me and said, "well...our kindergarten is really full!" I wasn't quite sure what she wanted me to say.


First day of school....take two!


This is Nathan outside his school. He is officially a "Mustang". He has made another best friend, sold bombs at recess, and been called a jerk. I've had a hard time letting him be in public school, since I am such a fan of private school. Next year he will attend Kindergarten at American Heritage.


After just 1 week we had his parent teacher conference. He has mastered everything except something called 1 to 1...which I'm still confused about. When I asked him to count something for me and point to the objects while he counted he asked me why he couldn't just do it in his head! I told him I didn't know...but that's the way his teacher wanted him to do it! He also has trouble staying quiet while on "the rug"...and completing tasks in a timely manner! He is a little social butterfly...and I'm sure he keeps the other kids entertained!


I'm sad to see him grow up. I'm sad he's no longer a toddler. I'm sad his innocence is slipping away. However, I'm equally excited for him to experience the world and explore his inner spirit. He is such a spunky, fun-loving kid. Here's to a great "1st year of Kindergarten!"

1 comment:

angee said...

One-to-one correspondence is a skill kids need to learn for reading (even though it's a math skill). Yes, it helps with counting, but it's critical for learning to read: Touching each word as they read, following along as they read, making sure they don't miss a word, etc.

Just so you know!