Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pre-Op Hop!

Yesterday we attended a "Pre-Op Hop" at the AF Hospital. It is a little tour they do for kids who are coming in for surgery. Logan was the only one there so he got special attention. He does't get his tonsils out until the 28, but we wanted to go early in case there was an opening. He got some cool Dr. stuff and a "hospital buddy." It's a cute little home-made doll with hospital jammies. He got to color the face on himself. He told me his buddies name is "Keith." He slept with him last night.

I don't think he understands exactly what is happening. He cried when we headed back to see the rooms. The hardest part is that they will wheel him into the OR while he is still awake. The girl said to me..."this is where we say bye bye mom, bye bye dad, love you...see you when I wake up!" I thought, "are you kidding me?" Can't you put him to sleep before he has to be wheeled away with some strangly dressed people he's never met?

Anyhoo...I'm sure it's going to be quite traumatic...for both of us!

Tonight he started crying and told me he had to go to the hospital.

As a side note....I really hate not having a camera. We're going to try and go find one this weekend. I think we've decided on a Canon, but don't want to spend a ton of money...and...I'm not a professional photographer!

3 comments:

oodlesofoversons said...

The whole thing is traumatic...we did it with Syd, (oh wait, I did it with Syd) 4 times& Drew once. But the anesthesiologist usually comes and talks to both of you and gets the child a little bit comfortable first. Say a lot of prayers and hopefully he will feel comfortable saying goodbye. I think it's harder for the parents than the child :0( Good luck! And good luck with the new camera.

Ryan and Amber said...

Good Luck with the Tonsils. Maybe you should just have Adam take him in. I don't know if I could do it! :)

Bohn Family said...

When I took Kaleb in to do his teeth (at the hospital - they took him away and put him to sleep) They came and talked to him and took him for a "wagon" ride into the OR. But they told me that he was asleep within 1min of taking him. So it is super quick - no long trama time to live with. Hopefully they do it that quick and he won't remember. So hard for the mom though! I hope everything goes well!