Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pig vs. Mechanic

There are a lot of things to consider when shopping for a heart valve. Do I want to have more kids, do I want it to last longer, etc., etc., etc. Well...after visiting with a surgeon today, we have decided on the piggy. Yes..I will have a pig valve in my body. I'm hoping my oinking skills will drastically improve!! Here is the run down on what is going on:
I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis in Fall 2005. I have had routine echocardiograms and check-ups since then. Last Fall I was told that I would probably need my valve replaced within a year.
A week and a half ago I suffered a small stroke. I have had a brain MRI, CT scan, and 17 viles of blood drawn. I have 1 more test on Monday called a bubble echo, which tests for holes in my heart. If everything comes out normal, I will proceed with surgery, which is scheduled for June 1.
We are thankful that Adam is fully recovered and feeling great! I am trying to switch gears and now be the patient....which is harder than being the nurse.
The best news of the day?....no housework for 6 weeks after surgery!!! YAY!!!


What would news like this be without photos. This was a good diagram in the exam room we were in...it shows what the valve looks like with aortic stenosis.


This was a "sample" pig valve...kind of cool looking...but I didn't actually touch it!


Side view!


When the surgeon caught me taking pictures he said he had a cooler one for my blog. This one was cool...enclosed in glass!

Here's to healthy pigs!!

3 comments:

J,B and K said...

Sheesh! That is crazy, but so cool that medicine can do that sort of thing! Good luck with everything!

FrankandAsh said...

So crazy! Mechanic verses pig valve..sounds like a episode of Grey's Anatomy. I hope everything goes well for you guys, if you need anything let us know.

The Barclay Family said...

You have such a great additude about all this medical craziness you guys have gone through! Good luck with your surgery! You'll have to take some video of your "oinking" skills afterwards!!