Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lazy Dayz of Summer!

I remember as a kid thinking summer lasted FOREVER! The older I get the shorter it gets. I can't believe we're near the end of July. My mom always did job charts. I remember one summer specifically having reading time after we came in from playing. I've tried to carry on some of the same traditions with my boys...but it hasn't happened this summer. Not one single chart!!! Heck...I don't even let my boys play outside by themselves yet!

I feel guilty...like I should be doing all these adventurous things with my boys. You know...teaching them stuff! Not that cartoons can't be adventurous...but I just don't have it in me yet. I am nearly 6 weeks post-op, and still not up to speed.

My boys are handling to lack of "fun" pretty well. Sure, we've taken them to McDonalds, and even a dollar movie...but it just seems lame compared to all the fabulous things other moms are doing with their kids.

In fact...I have succomed(sp?) to all summer laziness. I don't worry if there are dishes in the sink when I go to bed. It doesn't seem to bother me if laundry sits in the washer over night. The kitchen floor hasn't been swept in a few days. And toilets?...we won't even go there. I'm letting my 3-year-old pick out his own outfits each day...which most of the time don't match. Sometimes I don't brush his teeth, and usually his face isn't clean when we leave the house. My 6-year-old eats cereal for most every meal, and the toys are no longer tidy and organized. And you know what?...IT'S OK...WE WILL SURVIVE!!!


As you can tell...our carrots didn't grow this year! (Nathan was still proud)


I bought the sun flower seeds in Target one afternoon. They were in the dollar bin just as you walk in the door. They came in a cute minature size yellow pot. I thought "oh..this will be fun for the boys." So...we planted them and let them grow in our window for a few weeks. Well..they got too big for the pots so I suggested planting them out with the strawberries...thinking they would surely die. Nope...Nathan is extremely proud of his sunflowers! I'm even more proud that they only cost $1!


The only snack I can remember having during the summer as a kid is a popcicle. And we always had to eat it outside! Nathan seems like he'll be able to carry on the popcicle tradition quite nicely! And maybe when he's older I will graduate him to a creamy!


Logan has been a real trooper this summer! He rarely likes getting his picture taken. Maybe he let me do it cause I helped him make a hop-scotch that goes all the way to 40!!

Note to self: check on spelling of popcicle and succomed...if that's even a word!

4 comments:

The Barclay Family said...

Keep up the summer laziness. You deserve it! Your boys are adorable, and I'm sure they are just glad that their mom is home from the hospital and hanging out with them! I hope you keep getting better and better.

Julie Carlile said...

I am glad that you shared your laziness. I didn't have major surgery and only have one child but often do nothing all day. It is nice to feel like it's ok to do that. Your boys are so cute and you are a wonderful mother. I am sure there are lots of little things you do that they will always remember as they get older.

Heather said...

Haha, I love it! It's nice to know you're a "real" mom. Isn't everyone lazy in the summer? I bet the boys have just loved spending a lot of time with those whom they care about most, you and Adam!

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh I say some days are just like that. I learned this very quickly so you are now my lazy days of summer hero! :)